Wednesday, August 31, 2011

George Plionis - feature artist



I first met George when we were both working at Object Gallery/Object Store when the Australian Centre for Craft & Design was located at Customs House, Circular Quay. George is well loved for his generous personality and great sense of humour! He is also one of Australia's most talented jewellery designers, with tight technical skills and inventive ideas coming together seamlessly in his contemporary pieces.



I am thrilled to bring George's organic, tactile wearable series 'Beneath the Sea' to Cudgegong Gallery.





George Plinonis
Born: Streaky Bay, SA
Live: Sydney, NSW
A favourite place: I have memories of my child hood, growing up on the 'The Great Australian Bight'. The terrain was untouched and raw, cliff faces that met the waters edge, white sands that would stretch as far as the eye could see, the vegetation, resilient and the environment, harsh and uncompromising. These memories bind me to Australia and the ocean.
A place you would like to spend more time: My partner is from Finland. I've been lucky enough to have visited once but really need to get back to visit more. I would love to experience the white blanket of winter, go north to visit 'the northern lights' and see the extreme of that country's weather.
A place in the world you would like to visit: My culture has sprung from Greece. As an adolescent I was never really interested in my history. As I've become older, the history of my family has become more and more important to me. I'd love to visit my 'mother land' meet my family and hear the stories that have been the reason my parents have become the people they are.

To see more of George’s design work please visit his re-developed website:
www.georgeplionis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment